I walked onto the scene of today’s fire on St. John’s Avenue to find the homeowner standing in his backyard with his dog. Both looked bewildered as they watched the firemen inspecting the house to make sure all the flames were indeed out. I didn’t hear an official assessment from the Fire Department, but I can’t imagine that there’s anything left to salvage. Our volunteer, Tom, was getting the paperwork ready, using the counter of a grill as a desk. Volunteers like Tom offer immediate reassurance to people who honestly don’t know what will happen next, and that, as the credit card commercials say, is priceless. Whether we’re helping a single homeowner or an entire apartment complex, I’m extremely proud of our volunteers. They do what no one else does in this community.
AND, a quick reminder to all, the time change is this weekend. Firefighters recommend that you check the batteries in your smoke detectors NOW!