The American Red Cross of Central Texas hosted its annual “Old Hollywood” themed Heroes Celebration on Thursday, April 14, 2011 at Truluck’s in downtown Austin, and it was a smashing success! Guests walked in on the red carpet, enjoyed Hollywood tunes and had photo opportunities with oversized Oscars that flanked the stage and seemingly real clapboards and film reels. (Thank you Strong Events for your generous donations!)
We kicked off the evening with a VIP reception for special friends, event sponsors and our Lady Bird Johnson Humanitarian of the Year recipient, Texas Longhorns Football Coach Mack Brown that included appropriately themed beverages like the Red Cross Martini and the Disaster Martini. Coach Brown was such a gracious honoree! He and his family greeted and mingled with all of the guests during the cocktail reception, and he posed for photos (taken by Bill Bastas – Photographic Craftsman) and signed autographs, as well!
K-EYE‘s Judy Maggio was the evening’s emcee extraordinaire and she did a beautiful job of recognizing all of our honorees while making sure the event flowed smoothly. The highlights of the evening were:
- The memorial speech given by Paul Yetter, Yetter Coleman LLP, about our late Board of Directors member, Greg Coleman. Mr. Coleman was an extraordinary and bright individual who was a born humanitarian.
- Andy Graham’s moving story of how his Red Cross training helped save a co-worker’s life.
- Mack Brown’s compassionate, and at times humorous, acceptance speech after the past recipient (and Austin’s past mayor) Will Wynn presented him with the award.
- Mack Brown claiming the sports related silent auction items were from the 2005 National Championship game.
- Guests coming together and supporting the Cities of Service project.
- The amazing meal and service given at Truluck’s. It was one of the best filets and THE best carrot cake that I have EVER tasted.
I would like to give an extra special thanks to our Event Chair, Barbara Allen, and to the Chair of our Board of Directors, Stacy Allen, for making our guests feel so welcomed and for volunteering so much of their time to ensure the success of the event. We truly appreciate theirs and the Advisory Committee’s efforts. I would also like to thank our event sponsors, Yetter Coleman LLP, Jackson Walker, LLP, Pierpont Communications, Randalls, Biggs and Smith Electric and Coats Rose for helping us make the evening possible.
Now it is time to rest up and start planning the next big thing!