by Mia Huey, Communications Intern, Fall 2013
Parties, candy, and costumes, oh my! It is that one day of the year when kids are encouraged to ask for candy and grown-ups get to play make believe.
When you’re out having a ghoulish good time this Halloween, the Red Cross has some helpful tips to keep things from going from spooky to downright terrifying. All it takes are a few simple safety percautions to ensure a happy haunting this Hallow’s Eve.
- Always make sure your costume – whether homemade or purchased – is flame-resistant.
- Instead of masks, which can make it hard to see, try wearing face paint instead.
- Only eat treats that are factory packaged. Avoid eating anything made by strangers or already opened.
- All Trick-or-Treaters should carry a flashlight. Add reflective tape to costumes and Trick-or-Treat bags. Wear light-colored clothing
- Walk only on sidewalks. If there are no sidewalks, walk at the edge of the road, facing traffic. Always look both ways when crossing the street and only cross at corners and crosswalks.
- Only approach houses with lights on and do not enter any houses.
- Make sure any costume accessories such as knives or swords are not potentially harmful.
- Plan your Trick-or-Treat route ahead of time. Stay with a group of people or with a trusted adult. All young children should have an adult with them.
- Be cautious around pets and other animals.
If you are joining the festivities by handing out candy, make sure your porch light is on. Other home safety steps include:
- Sweep leaves from the sidewalks and steps.
- Clear the porch or front yard of any obstacles that a child could trip over.
- Restrain any household pets.
- Use a glow stick instead of a candle in the jack-o-lantern to avoid a fire hazard.
Following these simple safety tips will prevent most accidents and help everyone to enjoy their Halloween.
Even when you’re careful, mishaps can happen. You can download the free American Red Cross First Aid App and receive instant access to expert advice for everyday emergencies whenever and wherever you need it. Features of the app include:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to handle the most common first aid situations;
- Videos and animations that make the skills easy to learn;
- Safety and preparedness tips; and
- Quizzes that users can take to earn badges which they can share with their friends on social media.